It can be exceedingly difficult to eat well during the holidays. Between Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s there are a lot of social functions surrounded by treats. It’s alright to indulge a little, but when you’re not at these parties, it might be a good idea to think about some foods that are a little healthier.
It is difficult to find fruit in season during the winter months sometimes! But there may be some options you’re not thinking about! Pomegranates, for one, are a great snack! Packed with vitamins, they’re a delicious treat. We recommend you buy them fresh and watch this video to learn how to open them.
Other fruits in season during the winter:
- Red Currants
Grab and Go Options
Often a snack needs to be very convenient. That’s why we eat bags of potato chips–because it’s easy! But with a little prep work, you can fill small tupperware containers with items like:
- Mixed nuts
- Dried fruit (in moderation)
- Sliced/sectioned fruit
- Small cubes of cheese
- Cooked chicken or turkey
- Beet Chips
- Low Sugar Granola
- Popcorn (without the butter and salt!)
- Coconut milk or water
- Oatmeal bites
Things to Keep in Mind
As you’re looking for snacks this winter, keep the following in mind:
- If you’re not sure what to eat, opt for protein and complex carbohydrates over simple, sugar filled treats.
- Fill a large bottle of water and see if you can finish it before lunch. Often when we feel the need to snack, we’re just thirsty.
- When you’re about to eat a snack, stop and ask yourself if this is to nourish you body or whether you’re just snacking out of boredom or to fill an emotional need that should be addressed another way.