We all run into seasons where taking care of our bodies falls to the absolute bottom of the priority list. It happens! But did you know there are still a few things you can do to stay healthy when you’re super busy?
Be Mindful of What You Eat
If you’re able, try to anticipate busy times and meal plan as much as possible. Make freezer meals ahead of time or plan to “power cook” early on in the week and then just reheat your food, instead of making a big meal every day. You might eat out and that’s totally fine! But when we’re stressed out because we’re so busy, we often make choices like ordering a big juicy hamburger and fries! Remember that a healthy salad with plenty of fats and protein will be just as satiating and will offer you the nutrients you need to get your through the day.
Get Plenty of Rest
When you’ve been going a mile a minute and finally get a chance to crash, it’s tempting to watch a new show on Netflix. While one won’t hurt, it’s probably an even better idea to get some real sleep. The body repairs damaged cells while you sleep and it’s vital that you allow yourself to get a full cycle in.
Exercise In Creative Ways
Can’t get in a full workout? Maybe you could do 10 minutes of HIIT instead. Other sneaky ways you can get in a little bit of exercise include:
- Taking the stairs when possible
- Parking further away from the door when running errands
- Doing calf raises or lunges while brushing your teeth
- Taking two minutes to meditate as needed
- Taking a phone call on your cell phone and walking during the call
- Stand at your desk–if possible
- Use an exercise ball instead of a chair
- Set a reminder on your phone to stretch every hour
- Use a basket at the market instead of a shopping cart